The College Of Engineering, Guindy (CEG), is one of the top engineering colleges in the country. The college was started as School of Survey in May of 1794 and established as a college in the year 1859. The college is affiliated to Anna University.
- The college is 219 years old. It is one of the oldest engineering institutes in the country
- CEG was the first college in the Southern Part of India that established Computer Center in 1963.
- The college was finally established as Techmical Institute in 1978.
- B.E in Mechanical Engineering was introduced in the year 1894.
- B.E in Electrical Engineering was introduced in the year 1930.
- Course for the Telecommunication and Highway Engineering was commenced in the year 1945.
- The Printing Technology Course was introduced in the year 1983.
- Notable Alumni of the college are Upendra J. Chivukula (American Politician), Kutraleeswaran (The youngest Arjuna Award winner) and S. Somasegar (Senior Vice President, Microsoft).
- The college offers rage of B.Tech Courses namely B.Tech in Electronics & Communication Engineering, B.Tech in Computer Science Engineering and B.Tech in Civil Engineering.
- The college also offers several M.Tech Courses such as M.Tech in Information Technology, M.Tech in Systems Engineering and Operations Research and M.Tech in Electrical Drivers and Embedded Control.
- In addition to these B.Tech and M.Tech Courses, CEG also offers other PG Courses such as MBA, MCA, M.Sc and Ph.D.
- The college provides state-of-the-art facilities like well stocked library, laboratories with all technical equipments, computer center and well maintained hostels.
- The college offers 100% job placement in branded companies namely Microsoft, Qualcomm, Google, Amazon and Caterpillar.
- Akkineni Nagarjuna, Indian film actor and Producer
- Krishnamachari Srikkanth, Former Captain of the Indian cricket team and the Chairman of the selection committee
- P. S. Veeraraghavan, Director of Vikram Sarabhai Space Centre
- Upendra J. Chivukula, American politician
Department: The College of Engineering, Guidy offers education in various undergraduate and postgraduate engineering courses. The faculty members of college all the time ready to spread new knowledge and experience to each student so that they can make their future bright. There are total 14 departments in the college. A few names of the faculty are listed below-
- Department of Information Technology
- Department of Mechanical Engineering
- Department of Electrical and Electronics Engineering
- Department of Electronics and Communication Engineering
- Department of Civil Engineering
- Department of Printing Technology
Extracurricular Activities: Several clubs in the college organize many events and programs to interact with students from other universities and colleges. Some of the clubs are-
- Literary Cub
- Aakriti (Women Club)
- Robotics Club
- Students’ Quality Club (SQC)
- National Cadet Corps
- National Service Scheme
- Youth Red Cross
Facilities: To pursue good education than excellent facilities are very important. In order to provide best education the college offers helpful facilities such as
- Hostels– In the city of Chennai, the college provides best hostels facility. There are total 16 hostels and named after the flowers. Out of 16 hostels, 5 hostels are reserved for Girls. These hostels are offered only to Undergraduate students. For international and NRI students provide separate accommodations. Hostels provide well furnished rooms and hygienic meals (Breakfast, Lunch and Dinner).
- Library– Library of the college has collection of books, magazines, journals, eJournals and other useful databases. Facilities for internet browsing and e-services are also available in the library for the convenient of students.
Festivals: Annually, the college organizes many events, meetings and conferences in the months of January, February and March. These symposia help in gaining the knowledge of students by interacting with professional personals. A few names of symposia are listed below-
- Rotaract Club organized Sangarsh (Concert For A Cause)
- Student Quality Club (SQC) organized Q Quest
- Department of Civil Engineering organized Civilisation
- Department of Mining Engineering organized Surang
- Department of Information Science and Technology organized Itrix
Ranking: Ranking of the college is mentioned below-
- 1st Rank Engineering College in the State of Tamil Nadu.
- 12th Ranked in the list of India’s Top Engineering Colleges in 2012 by the Outlook India Survey
- Ranked 9th in Top 10 Engineering Colleges in India by Rhodes India
Scholarship And Awards: These awards and scholarships are distributed according to their performance in academic core-
- Sir Arthur Hope Scholarship
- The Sachivothama SirC.P.Ramasamy Aiyar Scholarship
- Ramana Gold Medal Prize
- The Kandasamy Alagarsamy Scholarship
- War nock Publishing Award.