The National Institute of Engineering, popularly known as NIE, found in 1946, is the second oldest college of Engineering in Karnataka.
- NIE is an autonomous institution affiliated to Visvesvaraya Technological University.
- It was granted autonomy in the year 2007. It was started in 1946 with Diploma Programs in Civil Engineering in a room under a thatched roof in Lakshmipuram.
- The funds obtained were used to strengthen the various Centers of Excellence in the college and to set up new ones.
- It was one of the few colleges in the Karnataka to be granted autonomy for all its courses.
- The campus is sprawled out over an area of 18 acres of land.
- The college has been acknowledged as 1st among private-aided engineering institutes in the State &3rd among Private engineering colleges in state.
- Arshad Jamil, Former Civil Judge Uttarakhand
- Narayana Murthy, Chief Mentor Infosys
- E.A.S. Prasanna, cricketer
- N. S. Narendra, Founder, Chairman of Firepro, 1986
Centers Of Excellence
NIE Mysore has over a dozen centers of excellence, which are well developed labs for the enrichment of engineering knowledge in students.
- Centre for Renewable Energy and Sustainable Technology (CREST)
- NIE – Eicher Centre for Automobile Technology (NECAT)
- Building Fire Research Centre (BFRC)
- Srilanka Youth Sports Interaction’s Power Lifting Competitions
- Google Students’ Club, NIE (G Club, NIE)
|Library||It established its library in 1946 with the collection of about 76000 Volumes.|
It contains Abstracts, Yearbooks, Directories, & Biographical sources, Thesis, Textbooks, Dissertations, Encyclopedias & General books comprising Kannada novels.
The library is also subscribing for
|Sports||It has produced several National, International, State level Sports Persons.|
|Among the top engineering college in the academic ranking of Indian colleges by engineering education surveys by Careers360, India Today & Outlook.|
|Top Engineering Colleges||Magazine|
Outlook Magazine survey
|Top 10 Private Engineering Colleges||Outlook Magazine survey||10th||2014|
|Top 100 Private Engineering Colleges||Outlook Magazine survey||29th||2014|
- Late Sri. Ramanuja Iyengar Scholarship
- Harinath Endowment Cash Prize
- Kodira K Kuttappa Memorial Award
- N.I.E. Founders Scholarship