Shri Govindram Seksaria Institute of Technology and Science, Indore is popularly known as S.G.S. Institute of Technology & Science or SGSITS was established in 1952 as a technical institute offering licentiate and diploma courses in engineering. It has been ranked among top 30-40 institutes on the national level (including IITs and NITs) by independent bodies and it is considered as 2nd best engineering college in Madhya Pradesh after MANIT Bhopal. Further looking to its credentials
- All India Council for Technical Education (AICTE) and University Grant Commission (UGC), New Delhi, has declared the institute as autonomous in 1989
- The institute is affiliated to the Rajiv Gandhi Prodyogiki Vishwavidhyalaya (University of technology of M.P.) Bhopal
- It offers 10 Undergraduate Program and 23 Postgraduate Programs. About 100 research papers are being published every year in journals of national and international repute. About 700 Students in Under Graduate Courses, 400 in Post Graduate Courses & 20 in Ph.D. Program are admitted every year.
- The Ministry of HRD of the government of India has identified the Civil Engineering Department as a Center for Quality Improvement (QIP) for Ph.D. degrees and the Electrical Engineering Department for M.E. degree
Academic Centers: The institute offers Under Graduate courses (Regular), four Under Graduate courses (Part-time), Post Graduate programs with twenty-two specializations, two part-time Post Graduate courses in various disciplines under the emerging areas of Engineering, Technology, Applied Sciences, Computer Applications, Management & Pharmacy. Ph.D. Programs are offered in all branches of Engineering, Applied Sciences, and Pharmacy.
Some of the centers which help in research and development are:
• Center for Nanotechnology
• Center for Lasers and Fiber Optics
• Central Computer Center
• Centre for VLSI Designs Entrepreneurship Development
• Cell Center for Advanced Automation
• Remote Sensing Cell
Extracurricular: Various facilities are provided to the students so that they take part in various types of literary and cultural activities. Social gathering, fiesta, fresher’s day, hostel night etc. are the regular annual events taking place in the Institute. Students also participate in inter-collegiate and inter-university competitions and youth festivals. Some of them are as follows-
- Sur Sangam- A musical event comprising of Vocal & Instrumental competitions which is organized by the students every year.
- An Intra College Debate and Painting Competition
Facilities: The Institute provides a wide range of state of the art facilities so that the students have an all-round development. These are described below-
|Library||The Central Library was established in 1955 with a small collection of 429 books. Today it has grown to become of the biggest college library in central India in the field of technology and science education. It contains|
|Computer Center||The computer center which is present within the Central library has:|
|Hostel||There are seven hostels:|
• Four boys hostels (600 seats)
• Two girls hostels (100 seats)
• One transit hostel for research scholars, lecturers, and sponsored students
|Other Facilities||• Spacious classrooms|
• Well equipped laboratories
• Indoor sports complex
• A branch of Oriental Bank of Commerce
• Co-operative stores
Aayam– It is the institute’s cultural event, which focuses on bringing students from various universities together and creating an atmosphere of competition and fun.
- A high power committee of the government of India ranked SGSITS 16th in the country and 2nd in Madhya Pradesh on the basis of the quality of manpower produced by the institute.
- It was Ranked 41 in Mint C-Fore Top Government Engineering College Rankings for 2008
- Identified for Early Faculty Induction Program by AICTE.
- Identified as Centre for National Doctoral Fellowship.
- International Collaboration with Humboldt University, Berlin.
- This institute has been among the thirteen engineering colleges in the country which were selected under the DOE project IMPACT funded by Swiss Development Corporation and the World-Bank for overall enhancement of education in Electronics and Computers.
Scholarships: Scholarships are awarded to the students on the basis of merits. These scholarships are awarded to the students by the Govt. of India and Madhya Pradesh (M.P.) Government every year. The various scholarships awarded are:
• M.P. Merit Scholarship awarded by D.T.E., Bhopal
• National Talent Search Scholarship by NCERT, Delhi
• New Central Sector Top Class Scholarship for SC Students by Ministry of Social Justice & Empowerment Govt. of India
• New Central Sector Top Class Scholarship for ST Students by Ministry of Tribal Affairs Govt. of India
• Sophia Merit Scholarship by Sophia Merit Scholarship Inc, Chennai
• Indian Oil Corporation Scholarship by Indian Oil Corporation, Chennai
• Cummins Foundations Scholarship By The Chairman Cummins India Ltd. Pune
• LIC Golden Jubilee Scholarship by Scheme LIC of India, Mumbai
• Boys cast Fellowship by Department of Science & Technology, New Delhi